Snackbar Confidential / Art Au Go-Go !

ARTWORK and PAINTINGS by LANCE LAURIE. WWW.ARTAUGOGO.COM ARTWORK ALWAYS FOR SALE! Search me on E-Bay; seller name konga5

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Commack Drive In Ads from April-June 1975 !


Was 1975 that long ago? Yup. Well, as I had mentioned before, one of my best friends lived in an apartment behind the Commack Drive In, so at night we would just watch the movies (with no sound). Like I said before, we could time the "good" scenes and watch them several times a night. I actually remember these shows , and we made sure to watch the cockpit crash scene in "Airport 1975", and "Play Misty for Me" had a topless/knife scene we watched a few times.
"Death Race 2000" would be pretty much the perfect drive-in movie, and I remember lots of stand-out scenes in that one!
I'm sure they will remake this movie and totally miss the point (it was a "satire" to some extent). (I forgot to mention "Eat My Dust" with Ron Howard which was a big drive-in hit in 1976 and played at Commack). $3.00 per carload was a great deal, even by 1975 standards and nobody even bothered hiding friends in their trunks. *Interesting to note how "willy nilly" drive-in theatre triple bills could be: "Airport 1975" (action "thriller"), "Lords of Flatbush " (drama), "Play Misty for Me" (psycho melodrama). * " Death Race 2000" (comic book violent exploitation sci-fi satire), "Last Days of Man on Earth" (serious French psychological thriller about creating an artificial "perfect human"), "Two Lane Blacktop" (talky 1970's "road" movie with existential detours). Gone were the days of simple "Frankenstein", "Bride of Frankenstein" & "Son of Frankenstein" type triple bill formulas !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home